The Official Rule Request Change Thread

Official rules, draft results, and discussion for the Draft Sharks Keeper League.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

Dom1964
DRAFT SHARK

Re: The Official Rule Request Change Thread

Postby Dom1964 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:17 am

Mr Cowboy wrote:3) How does blind bid work and who controls it ?

Since I play in two leagues that use blind bid, I'll give a rundown of how it works (no idea if MFL can do this, both of these leagues run on RT Sports).

each team gets $100 of fake money to bid on free agents... thats it for the year, when its gone, its gone, and none carries over to next year...

when you want to bid on a player, you enter your bid on the website, no one see it but you... on weds night when waivers are run, each player that was bid on is awarded to the highest bidder... a report will show how many losing bids there were for each player and the amount bid, but not who bid and missed... any player dropped during this process is then "protected" until the following weeks blind bid, so no racing to your computer to pick up the guy that was dropped by one of the other teams... after the blind bid is process is complete, first come first serve is open, but players who were just dropped are excluded so everyone has an opportunity to bid on them the next week.

there is strategy involved, you may see someone spend the whole $100 on player week 1 and thats it for him.. no more bidding till next year... you can sometimes pick a player by bidding $0 or $1 if no one else bids (like if you need a bye week kicker)...

its really not that hard, the trick is knowing how much to bid to get the player you want without breaking your bank for the year.

as far as who controls it, its all done through the website (as I said on RT, no idea if MFL is capable of doing this)... no one, not even the commish sees the bids until the website runs waivers.... the website keep track of your money spent, how much you have left, etc...

to me, it is the most fair way to run waivers.... I can tell you, I have better things to do than sit by my computer waiting to be first in line for first come first serve transactions.... this way everyone has an equal shot...

I would really like us to adopt this for next year.
the opinion expressed above is for entertainment purposes only and is in no way meant to imply that I know what the Hell I am talking about!

Dom1964
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Dom1964 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:21 am

Gomer wrote:
mcghee3 wrote:
Gomer wrote:If we do vp scoring we will only have one division. At least that's my understanding.

It won't be one division. Still 4 or we can condense to 3.

Hornsfan78 wrote:Another thought...

Maybe we should clarify playoff seeding. I would assume Division Winners are top 4 seeds, regardless of records (i.e. this year LandSharks was No. 4 seed as Division Winner and Slick was the # 5 seed despite having a better record. Didn't really matter (didn't change the matchups) but probably should be clear.

Seeding will be based on VP's.
Division winners etc. will not matter in terms of seed, only entry to the playoffs.

Highest VP - #1 seed
2nd VP - #2 seed
etc.

Think I would rather have 3 divsions than 4. Maybe even would like to do 2.

I would also like to see fewer divisions... 3 teams in a division isnt enough, lets make it 2 or 3 divisions, not 4.
the opinion expressed above is for entertainment purposes only and is in no way meant to imply that I know what the Hell I am talking about!

Wally82
Great White

Postby Wally82 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:59 pm

The Bid system makes sense I guess.

I personally think it should be based on speed of deciding on who to pick up, but I understand everyone else has lives besides me.
---
-'Cowboys-

Gomer
Blue Shark

Postby Gomer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:03 am

Is there a reason to have divisions? Could we not just have one division and take the to 6 teams?
All my great ideas, I've regretted most of them.

docjr03
DRAFT SHARK

Postby docjr03 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:59 pm

My only complaint might be the ww order, I had the worst team by far for the first half of the season and never seemed to sniff the top of the order. I know its probably my fault for not researching it enough myself, but seemed odd.

Im fine with the current site, although I agree that free agent research can be a bit tedious. I do believe the site allows for a certain amount of personal customization by the player, which would be cool if I weren't such a freakin slack-ass.
12 team, .75PPR, 1pp10 yd ru, 1pp 8yd rec
1 QB Fitzgerald
2 RB Foster, Gio, R. Bush, Hyde, Blue
2 WR Dez, Cobb, Moncrief
1 TE Rudolph, D. Allen, Cameron
1 WR/RB K. Allen
1 WR/TE K. Stills
K Bailey
Def: streaming

Hornsfan78
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Hornsfan78 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:49 am

I saw a Mcghee post about this in another thread - can we set the scoring so that points given up be the offense of your DST, i.e. a pick-6 don't count against your DST?

Thanks
2016 Champion 9 Hot Dogs & a Taco and DS Keeper League
9 Hot Dogs & a Taco
10 Team Keeper league
'17 Draft Round (x) *=Keepers
QBs: R Wilson (4), A Luck (14)
RBs:*Da Johnson (18) *E Elliott (1) *J Howard (20) R Kelly (6) C Carson (13) A Kamara (16) J Allen (WW)
WRs: *K Benjamin (19) A Cooper (2) G Tate (3) D Jax (5) Ty Williams (8) J Maclin (9) C Coleman (10)
TE: *T Kelce (7)

Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, Flex, TE, DEF, K
1pt per 10 ru/re 25 pa; All TD's 6pts

Gomer
Blue Shark

Postby Gomer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:20 am

Hornsfan78 wrote:I saw a Mcghee post about this in another thread - can we set the scoring so that points given up be the offense of your DST, i.e. a pick-6 don't count against your DST?

Thanks

x2

mcghee3
DRAFT SHARK

Postby mcghee3 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:32 pm

Gomer wrote:
Hornsfan78 wrote:I saw a Mcghee post about this in another thread - can we set the scoring so that points given up be the offense of your DST, i.e. a pick-6 don't count against your DST?

Thanks

x2

I think I may just go Executive Order and change that one myself.
I didn't realize MFL could do it until I was checking into some things for yesac.

Hornsfan78
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Hornsfan78 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:25 pm

I have 1 more to consider, if it isn't too late. Since QB's only get 4 for a passing TD, -2 for an INT seems a bit punitive.

I would propose -1 for an INT, but keep fumbles -2.
2016 Champion 9 Hot Dogs & a Taco and DS Keeper League
9 Hot Dogs & a Taco
10 Team Keeper league
'17 Draft Round (x) *=Keepers
QBs: R Wilson (4), A Luck (14)
RBs:*Da Johnson (18) *E Elliott (1) *J Howard (20) R Kelly (6) C Carson (13) A Kamara (16) J Allen (WW)
WRs: *K Benjamin (19) A Cooper (2) G Tate (3) D Jax (5) Ty Williams (8) J Maclin (9) C Coleman (10)
TE: *T Kelce (7)

Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, Flex, TE, DEF, K
1pt per 10 ru/re 25 pa; All TD's 6pts

Gomer
Blue Shark

Postby Gomer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Can we get a recap of rule changes that we made for the new system?
I believe we have added the following:
-H2HVP scoring
-Blind Bid for waivers
-League cost increase to $50 to cover cost of league web site
-Points Against your Defense will only be counted if they are scored via the opposing team's offense or ST.

Couple of others that I know of that were thrown out but not sure what ended up with them that we may need to discuss further:
-a player be on waivers for 24 hours once they are dropped
-one or two IR spots
-return tds counting for a player (example hester returns a punt for a td he gets 6 points and chicago's def/st gets 6 points)
-decrease the number of divisions from 4 to 3, 2 or 1
-Tie breaker for playoffs and playoff seating to be total points for the season and not head-to-head
-for playoff seating the divison winners get seated before the wild cards
- -1 for an INT instead of -2

slick3165
Reef Shark

Postby slick3165 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:58 pm

I suggest that change the rule so that keepers are kept in the round they were drafted regardless of whether they're kept by the team that drafted them or by a team that picked them up off the waiver wire. Some good points were made in a different thread about being able to skirt the keeper round rule if a waiver wire pick up becomes a 10th round keep even if they were originally drafted in an early round.

slick3165
Reef Shark

Postby slick3165 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:59 pm

We should be able to trade draft picks. If you have enough keepers to trade them, and all you can get back for them is more keepers, then it kind of minimizes the point. I play in two other 14 team keeper leagues, and am the commish in one of them, and we can trade picks. It adds a complexity to league that I would expect "sharks" to really enjoy. I'll attach the part of our constitution regarding keepers/picks:

Keeper League: each GM will be able to keep 2 players at a cost of wherever that player was drafted the year prior. However, once a player has been protected 2 years in a row by any owner that player will be a 1st round protect. If team protects 2 players that are in the same round outside first rounders the team will forfeit the pick in the latter round.

Teams may trade only 2 draft picks in season and only receive 2 extra draft picks in season. Teams can not trade away more than 3 players in season when picks are involved. And you can not make an extra trade that only involves players to circumvent this rule even if it happens in a later or earlier week.

All rules have loop holes, so when you try to
circumvent the rules “legally”: Ask yourself if you
are exchanging value for value and avoiding collusion.
Anytime I believe there is collusion or taking
advantage of a loop hole, I believe I owe it to the
league to stop it after receiving ample advice from
the league.

The only pick that can ever be swapped if a player is
protected in that round is the first overall in the
first round.

There will be no swapping of picks unless it is the
first overall pick, when you protect a player in that
round.
If neither team is not protecting a player in that
round swap to your hearts desire.....

A team can not use an acquired pick to protect a
player when you already have a pick in that round because it is later in the round. You protect the player in your original position.
(i.e. I trade my 13th overall pick to a team with the 3rd overall for a 6th round pick and the team moving backwards is protecting a player in RD1) This is illegal.

A team with an extra pick in any round does not have to use that extra pick to protect a player protected in the same round. (i.e. Travis has 2 first round picks (1 acquired and his original) and his normal 2nd rounder. If Travis wants to keep two 1st round protects, he forfeits his 1st round pick determined by his previous year's finish and his original 2nd round pick) Yes, he will get to use the extra acquired 1st round pick to draft.

If Roy want to keep 2 1st rounders but traded his 2nd round pick, he can only keep 1 player that is a first or 2nd round protect.

If Justin protects a player in the 7th round and then trades for a guy and wants to protect him in the 7th, and he traded his 8th round pick at any point, He would then forfeit his 6th round pick to protect that player not his 9th rounder.

If you traded away a pick in the prior year , you can only protect a player in that round if you re-acquire a pick in that round or forfeit the prior round pick. (i.e. Scotty trades away his 4th round pick in 2004, and wants to keep a player in the 4th rd in the 2005 draft, he would have to re-acquire a pick in a trade when the 2005 trading deadline expires on Aug 1 or use a pick in that round from the prior year. Of course he could always forfeit his 3rd rounder as an alternative, and if he has a keeper in the 3rd, he can forfeit his 2nd, etc.) You can not trade away a pick in the current year and then re-acquire a pick in that round during the same year and use it to protect in that year’s draft. You will have to protect the player in the round prior.

Contingency trades are allowed.

Gomer
Blue Shark

Postby Gomer » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:58 pm

slick3165 wrote:I suggest that change the rule so that keepers are kept in the round they were drafted regardless of whether they're kept by the team that drafted them or by a team that picked them up off the waiver wire. Some good points were made in a different thread about being able to skirt the keeper round rule if a waiver wire pick up becomes a 10th round keep even if they were originally drafted in an early round.

This would be tough to keep up with unless the website could do it. Otherwise, it would mean that mcghee or someone would have to look over each and every player to see if that person was drafted by another team or if it was a true free agent pickup.

mcghee3
DRAFT SHARK

Postby mcghee3 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:01 pm

slick3165 wrote:I suggest that change the rule so that keepers are kept in the round they were drafted regardless of whether they're kept by the team that drafted them or by a team that picked them up off the waiver wire. Some good points were made in a different thread about being able to skirt the keeper round rule if a waiver wire pick up becomes a 10th round keep even if they were originally drafted in an early round.

You're not really skirting the rule though.
The person that originally drafted that player decided to waive them.
Due to injury, poor play etc., it was bad enough that the original owner wanted to waive them.
If someone wants to eat up the roster spot for the year (i.e. Ryan Grant in '10), that's up to them and puts them at a disadvantage already for having a player on IR taking up a roster spot.
The round they were drafted in no longer has any bearing as the player has been subject to waivers.
The new owner should not be tied to the original owners draft position. It's different from making a trade.
This player was cut for whatever reason. Trades are generally done with players that have value and are performing so there draft position is tied to them upon switching teams.

mcghee3
DRAFT SHARK

Postby mcghee3 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:05 pm

slick3165 wrote:We should be able to trade draft picks. If you have enough keepers to trade them, and all you can get back for them is more keepers, then it kind of minimizes the point. I play in two other 14 team keeper leagues, and am the commish in one of them, and we can trade picks. It adds a complexity to league that I would expect "sharks" to really enjoy. I'll attach the part of our constitution regarding keepers/picks:

Keeper League: each GM will be able to keep 2 players at a cost of wherever that player was drafted the year prior. However, once a player has been protected 2 years in a row by any owner that player will be a 1st round protect. If team protects 2 players that are in the same round outside first rounders the team will forfeit the pick in the latter round.

Teams may trade only 2 draft picks in season and only receive 2 extra draft picks in season. Teams can not trade away more than 3 players in season when picks are involved. And you can not make an extra trade that only involves players to circumvent this rule even if it happens in a later or earlier week.

All rules have loop holes, so when you try to
circumvent the rules “legally”: Ask yourself if you
are exchanging value for value and avoiding collusion.
Anytime I believe there is collusion or taking
advantage of a loop hole, I believe I owe it to the
league to stop it after receiving ample advice from
the league.

The only pick that can ever be swapped if a player is
protected in that round is the first overall in the
first round.

There will be no swapping of picks unless it is the
first overall pick, when you protect a player in that
round.
If neither team is not protecting a player in that
round swap to your hearts desire.....

A team can not use an acquired pick to protect a
player when you already have a pick in that round because it is later in the round. You protect the player in your original position.
(i.e. I trade my 13th overall pick to a team with the 3rd overall for a 6th round pick and the team moving backwards is protecting a player in RD1) This is illegal.

A team with an extra pick in any round does not have to use that extra pick to protect a player protected in the same round. (i.e. Travis has 2 first round picks (1 acquired and his original) and his normal 2nd rounder. If Travis wants to keep two 1st round protects, he forfeits his 1st round pick determined by his previous year's finish and his original 2nd round pick) Yes, he will get to use the extra acquired 1st round pick to draft.

If Roy want to keep 2 1st rounders but traded his 2nd round pick, he can only keep 1 player that is a first or 2nd round protect.

If Justin protects a player in the 7th round and then trades for a guy and wants to protect him in the 7th, and he traded his 8th round pick at any point, He would then forfeit his 6th round pick to protect that player not his 9th rounder.

If you traded away a pick in the prior year , you can only protect a player in that round if you re-acquire a pick in that round or forfeit the prior round pick. (i.e. Scotty trades away his 4th round pick in 2004, and wants to keep a player in the 4th rd in the 2005 draft, he would have to re-acquire a pick in a trade when the 2005 trading deadline expires on Aug 1 or use a pick in that round from the prior year. Of course he could always forfeit his 3rd rounder as an alternative, and if he has a keeper in the 3rd, he can forfeit his 2nd, etc.) You can not trade away a pick in the current year and then re-acquire a pick in that round during the same year and use it to protect in that year’s draft. You will have to protect the player in the round prior.

Contingency trades are allowed.

I like some of the ideas in here slick.
The only issue is MFL can only keep up with so much of this.
I'm commish of another league, in 5 others including 3 dynasty leagues.
Not only that but a 15 year old, a 4 year old, a wife and a ridiculous golf habit - I could never keep up with all this to ensure the draft runs smoothly.
This year you lose the round pick your keeper was drafted. Next season, that moves up two slots so that would have to be incorporated as well.
Unless it's dynasty, I'm not big on trading draft picks of any kind.

Return to “Draft Sharks Keeper League”