General Strategy

Thoughts, analysis and advice on daily fantasy games. Make that money!

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

CrackedAces
DRAFT SHARK

General Strategy

Postby CrackedAces » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:21 pm

So, I am new to the weekly game this year, and to be honest, I'm getting it handed to me. Curious to know what strategies some of the vets who play use, and how you go about putting your team together.

Right now, I am big into finding the cheapest D with the highest upside, Cheapest K with highest upside and cheapest QB with highest upside, then fill in the rest. It isn't working so far.

Glad this forum has opened up, and hopefully we can help each other all to win!

Damn Yankee
DRAFT SHARK

Re: General Strategy

Postby Damn Yankee » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:56 pm

This is F'ing great....I will leech onto this topic for answers because like Cracked, I am getting pants'ed in weekly leagues (my first try this year)...I mean, not even close to competing for the money.
If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand - Phil Helmuth

DS Jared
Site Admin

Postby DS Jared » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:34 pm

I try to stick just to 50/50 games. Not sexy, but very profitable.

In the 50/50s, you only need to beat half the field. That means you wanna field a "safe" lineup. I always try to get Jimmy Graham and then at least one workhorse RB who I know will get 15+ touches.
Glad Tim Biakabatuka is out of the league.

soupcam
Blue Shark

Postby soupcam » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:10 pm

I play mainly mid sized tournaments at $5-10 similar to the Draft Sharks Week 1 tourney, try to build a bankroll then will throw some money at some larger tourneys. During the week while looking at the rosters and match-ups in my other leagues there are always guys that jump out to me as great plays and I use that roster envy in Fanduel. I do go cheap on Defense and Kicker but not always on QB unless there is some value that I think I can exploit (last year Cutler/McCown fit that description and I rode them to some decent wins).

When building my weekly team I start at WR and RB and find one of each at a lower price that I like. This week Sankey was the first guy in my lineup as he came in at $5900 and I think this is the last week we will see him priced that low. By setting my bargain guys first I get a better idea on how flexible I can be to spend up at other positions. At QB I will spend on a great match-up and love guys playing at home. Brees or Rivers this week are worth the price to me because I feel confident I am not going to lose pace of the leaders with either of those guys and may be able to swamp some that tried to get by with a cheaper option who does not perform.

The larger the group of participants the more you need to think about differentiating your lineup from everyone else, but don't get too cute. Last week everyone was in on Steve Smith's Revenge, but that doesn't mean you should avoid the guy. If you see the points coming take the guy. I played Smith, Antonio and Jordy last week just like 25-30% of the participants in my contest did, but it certainly did not hurt me as they all showed up.

TE is a spot that I think you can always find a good value. I rarely will pay for Graham, Julius or Gronk as I find I can get a good value from lower tier guys and it also is a good means to distinguish your lineup from others. Kelce last week helped me jump into the money as only 3% played him.

Unlike Jared's 50/50 approach, I know and accept that many weeks I will not win money. On the other hand, one good week can cover me for the rest of the season. I hit 5th place in the week 1 DS Fanduel and have been playing for free since. I just enjoy tinkering with different combinations and trying to hit on that perfect lineup. I have played on Fanduel for a couple of years and it is a nice addition to go along with my regular leagues and not a big investment if you don't want it to be.
12 teams - 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLX/1K/1D
YARDS: 1pt per 25 passing, 1 pt per 10 rushing/receiving
ALL TD=6 pts. PPR=1/2 pt. ALL T/O = -2 pts.
Team Bonus: 6 point bonuses if your starters combine for any of the following:
300+ passing yards, 200+ rushing yards, 300+ receiving yards
QB: Brady RB: D. Martin, McCaffery, Gallman, McGuire, Cohen, David Johnson
WR: D. Parker, D. Jackson, M. Bryant, R. Matthews, Jaron Brown TE: Walker D: Chiefs

soup2345
Great White

Postby soup2345 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Prefer the larger tournaments in the $1-$10 range. I usually will play 10 or so entries per week in these lower priced tournaments.

As far as my strategy, it's honestly similar to what soupcam said. I try to play the contrarian role and find the guys who are in a spot to have a nice week but will be under used by the masses. Example, Lacy, Martin, Ellington, even McCoy will probably be used in much lower percentages by teams this week due to recent poor performances. Even Calvin will be used in lower numbers this week due to him burning a lot of teams last week.

Also, I never pick a player that is coming off a huge week...Ex. Donnell, Antonio brown, Jordy and so on will not be in any of my rosters this week. I have no real data to back that up but it's just what I always do.

This week some of my value priced long shots in most of my lineups will be
Eli, Flacco, Khiry Robinson, Sankey, and davanta Adams

Damn Yankee
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Damn Yankee » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:35 pm

soup2345 wrote:Prefer the larger tournaments in the $1-$10 range. I usually will play 10 or so entries per week in these lower priced tournaments.

As far as my strategy, it's honestly similar to what soupcam said. I try to play the contrarian role and find the guys who are in a spot to have a nice week but will be under used by the masses. Example, Lacy, Martin, Ellington, even McCoy will probably be used in much lower percentages by teams this week due to recent poor performances. Even Calvin will be used in lower numbers this week due to him burning a lot of teams last week.

Also, I never pick a player that is coming off a huge week...Ex. Donnell, Antonio brown, Jordy and so on will not be in any of my rosters this week. I have no real data to back that up but it's just what I always do.

This week some of my value priced long shots in most of my lineups will be
Eli, Flacco, Khiry Robinson, Sankey, and davanta Adams

Solid stuff...a couple of questions:

1. What sites do you guys use/trust?
2. Does Victor Cruz fit as a value priced long shot this week?
If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand - Phil Helmuth

soup2345
Great White

Postby soup2345 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:31 pm

i like Fanduel. they have lots of tourneys and different game options each week.

also, they take paypal and whenever I cash out, the money is in my paypal acct the next day.

I have never had any issues whatsoever with Fanduel and would recommend them. But I have never tried the other sites so I don't really have anything to compare it to

CrackedAces
DRAFT SHARK

Postby CrackedAces » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:18 am

soup2345 wrote:i like Fanduel. they have lots of tourneys and different game options each week.

also, they take paypal and whenever I cash out, the money is in my paypal acct the next day.

I have never had any issues whatsoever with Fanduel and would recommend them. But I have never tried the other sites so I don't really have anything to compare it to

I am with FanDuel as well for every reason listed above, plus the DS bonus we got at the beginning of the year :wink:

Return to “Daily Games”