auction strategy with large starting lineup

Only Fantasy/NFL chat. Ask-ish threads & other debris gets swept off the highway. It's not personal.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

8eights
Blue Shark

auction strategy with large starting lineup

Postby 8eights » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:43 pm

Just curious what the sharks think about strategy for an odd auction league I am in. DS auction values are not working, so that's very little help.
We start 1 QB, 2rb, 3wr, 1 flex (rb, wr, te), 1te, k, def. league is 1 point ppr. You dont start with 200 bucks to spend, but lets say we do to keep in simple.

I know I am not going to spend much for a qb. Probably get a few guys cheap.

The only logic I've found looking over this is if you pay up for one top player (50-60 bucks) like brown, julio, odb, elliot, gurley, etc. , the rest of you team is filled with sleepers and not many guaranteed players. Mocking it tends to have a a few decent #2wrs and some rbs that go in round 5-6 of serpentine drafts.

Am I wrong thinking I shouldn't pay up over 50 bucks for a big name?
Any advise from the sharks here? I haven't done a bunch of auctions, and certainly none with this large of a starting roster.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Simakos
DRAFT SHARK

Re: auction strategy with large starting lineup

Postby Simakos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:18 pm

The bottom tends to all out fast in auctions. I've done tons over the years, and I only find 2 strategies that have worked for me...and they're complete opposites.

1. Spend a ton of dough on 2-3 studs, then fill in your roster with cheap, high upside, long shots. If it's a keeper auction, they should all be very young as you may be able to trade your way in to a good squad by week 13.

2. Buy NO studs, and basically load up on all 4th-6th round type guys. Less likely to flame out and if you evaluate talent well, all you need is 1-2 home runs and you should have a deep, well balanced team.

meanmachine
Blue Shark

Re: auction strategy with large starting lineup

Postby meanmachine » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:24 pm

I have had more success with strategy two. I do try to bid-up the studs a bit, and sometimes get "stuck" with one, so then I have to adjust a bit. But I find that waiting for value seems to lessen the impact of a potential injury to high priced players during the season.
QB: A-Rodg, Cutler, Gabbert
RB: Bradshaw, MoJo, R. Williams, B. Scott, K. Hunter, Choice
WR: A. Johnson, AJ Green, Britt, K. Wright, M. Floyd (AZ), Ogletree
TE: Finley, Pitta, Lewis

Return to “Shark Talk”