Draft Advice

Only Fantasy/NFL chat. Ask-ish threads & other debris gets swept off the highway. It's not personal.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

Hornsfan78
DRAFT SHARK

Draft Advice

Postby Hornsfan78 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:53 pm

League in sig. 10-team, non-ppr keeper league.

I have the 5th pick in Round 1 and due to keepers, my second pick is 7 picks later, so 2 of the first 12 picks.

My keepers are all back-end loaded (mostly picked up on waivers over the last couple of years) and are:

RB's - David Johnson, CJ Anderson, Thomas Rawls & Jeremy Langford
WR - Kelvin Benjamin

The top 6 players on my draft board are:

Julio Jones, Amari Cooper & Dez

Ezekial Elliott, AP & Lacy

After those 3 receivers, the WR landscape drops off to a group that includes D Thomas, M Floyd, G Tate, Maclin, Moncrief, Decker & Landry.

My question is this if Elliott and / or AP and / or Lacy are available at 1.05, do you take any one of them over Cooper? How about over Dez?

Any input is appreciated.
2016 Champion 9 Hot Dogs & a Taco and DS Keeper League
9 Hot Dogs & a Taco
10 Team Keeper league
'17 Draft Round (x) *=Keepers
QBs: R Wilson (4), T Taylor (WW)
RBs:*Da Johnson (18) *E Elliott (1) *J Howard (20) A Kamara (16) Darkwa (WW) Burkhead (WW)
Woodhead (WW)
WRs: *K Benjamin (19) A Cooper (2) G Tate (3) D Jax (5) J Doctson (WW) C Davis (WW) J Gordon (WW) K Cupp (WW)
TE: *T Kelce (7)

Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, Flex, TE, DEF, K
1pt per 10 ru/re 25 pa; All TD's 6pts

vafides
Blue Shark

Re: Draft Advice

Postby vafides » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:46 pm

BAsed on what you provided you start 2 RB 3 WR and a flex.
Its hard to see who else is available because this is a decision where you need to factor in whos in there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. But to keep the scope in the first round:

Id rank my top 5 (meaning your guaranteed 1 of these)
1- Julio
2- Dez
3- Ezekiel
4- Elliot
5- Lacy

Basically remove Amari Cooper from this group.
There is too big a drop off talent wise to move Amari ahead of any of those guys. Worst case, go into the season with 5 solid RB's and grab WR later on which is a strategy most guys end up doing anyways.

Obviously, I would also have a trade lined up with one of your keepers for a WR if you can. Trade is probably first priority and stick with the top 5.

atgrey
Blue Shark

Postby atgrey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:21 pm

Vafides seems very high on Dez, and very low on Cooper. I'm curious to hear the reasoning, considering DS ranks Cooper higher across formats, plus you'd need to trust in Dak down in Dallas. To me, they're at least comparable value.

It's important to consider your starting requirements. You cannot start more than three Rbs, so if you take Zeke, AP or Lacy, that means you're sitting Rawls and Langford all season, with the exception of bye weeks. Sitting two top 20 backs all year is a ton of wasted value. The MVP board backs this up. just by putting in who you already kept, it drives the dynamic value of the RBs you mentioned down below that of Dez and Cooper.

In addition, you'll need to start at least 3 WRs. Are you comfortable starting DT or Floyd as your WR1? I don't think you can go through the season with those guys leading your receiving corps, while top RBs are doing nothing on your bench.

In my view, you have two options. The first is to take any of those top WRs if they fall to you at 5. You need a WR1, and already have 3 RB1s.

The other is that you can take the BPA and go with one of the RBs, then turn around and try to put a trade together. With two 1st round value Rbs, and 3 more in the low RB1/highRB2 range, you have a lot to work with, and I expect there's a WR rich / RB poor team to match your situation.

In addition, if your keepers retain their value through trades, that's another HUGE boost to your bargaining position, giving all of those guys way more value than they already have. It shouldn't be hard to trade a 17th round CJ for a true stud at WR

Hornsfan78
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Hornsfan78 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks for the replies guys and yes, starting requirement is 2RB, 3Wr & a flex. Also, whoever I take in the 1st round I can keep there again next year.

Keepers do retain their keeper status on trade - so that is definitely an option (although trades are few and far between in this league).

I guess my question really are any of Lacy, AP or Elliot worth needing to make a trade to have a true WR1.

I think that next tier of WR that I listed will be available to me in the 2nd, and I guess it is possible that Cooper falls there, although I am not counting on it.

I think if Elliott or Lacy are there, I pull the trigger on them, if not it is probably Cooper or Dez.

Thanks
9 Hot Dogs & a Taco
10 Team Keeper league
RBs:*Da Johnson (18) *E Elliott (1) *J Howard (20) A Kamara (16) Darkwa (WW) Burkhead (WW)
Woodhead (WW)
WRs: *K Benjamin (19) A Cooper (2) G Tate (3) D Jax (5) J Doctson (WW) C Davis (WW) J Gordon (WW) K Cupp (WW)

vafides
Blue Shark

Postby vafides » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:10 pm

Personally, I like Amari this year. Im high on the raiders like most people. But id rather have Crabtree at his value if I want part of that offense.
And honestly, there is a fair chance Crabtree has a better year than Cooper. Crabtree had better games than Cooper head to head. Im not going to turn this into a Crabtree vs. Cooper argument, but thats my reasoning.

As for Dez, Hes on the backend of that 2nd WR tier in my opinion. And good enough to draft him ahead of those RB strictly cuz he needs WR.
I dont think Cooper is at that level to be taken ahead of possible first round talent.

Hornsfan78
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Hornsfan78 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:35 pm

I just couldn't pull the trigger on Dez, so I took Elliot. I was shocked he was there, frankly. Ended up with the team in the sig. I panicked on my QB2 because I couldn't find the 1st 4 week schedules quick enough. I may drop Rivers for Matty Ice, and try to pull a trade for a WR 1.

Thanks again for the input.
9 Hot Dogs & a Taco
10 Team Keeper league
Woodhead (WW)

skiballs68
DRAFT SHARK

Postby skiballs68 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:12 pm

I think you did alright Horns. I would've taken Dez over Lacy, but not Elliott. The WRs look decent enough.

rso
Rookie

Postby rso » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:31 pm

I agree with skiballs

Return to “Shark Talk”