JAMAAL CHARLES

Only Fantasy/NFL chat. Ask-ish threads & other debris gets swept off the highway. It's not personal.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

RockingS1994
Rookie

JAMAAL CHARLES

Postby RockingS1994 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Why is it Draft Shark didnt know JC was hurt as bad as he was and ranked him so high? With him hurt and on the practice squad this hurt
my draft and I'm sure many others. Do we not pay you for this information? Just frustrating because I thought DS would have been better informed about him.

Sean1022
DRAFT SHARK

Re: JAMAAL CHARLES

Postby Sean1022 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:10 pm

I don't think anybody knew his true status. Reality is, when you draft a player coming off an injury, nobody truly knows how healthy they are until the season starts.
teams 1 and 2 - 1 pt 10 yds rushing/rec, 1 ppr, 6 td, 1 pt 25 yds passing, 4 tds

Team 1 (10 team) - start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te
qb: Brady, Wentz
rb: Dalvin Cook, B. Powell, J. White, A. Kamara
wr: Green, M. Thomas, B. Cooks, S. Diggs, T. Williams, JJ Nelson
te: Ertz, Doyle

team 2(10 team) - start 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 flex (rb, wr, te)
qb: Mariota, Wilson
Rb: D. Murray, Fournette, D. Henry, Riddick
wr: A. Brown, K. Allen, S. Diggs, Crowder
te: stream

Bugsy
Reef Shark

Postby Bugsy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:14 am

I agree with Sean. I remember a long time ago after Priest Holmes injured his hip after his MONSTER season. The next year he was in the same situation and many people shyed away from him, including myself. He went on to become a beast that year. You just never know....Also, teams go to great lengths to hide players true severity.

8eights
Blue Shark

Postby 8eights » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:58 pm

I live in KC and talk of the town was that he was NOT ready. Even without this info I still thought DS had him ranked to high. Too much injury history and he is no spring chicken. Backups aren't bad either.

NancyBoy08
Great White

Postby NancyBoy08 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm no patsy for Draftsharks, but I think your frustration is misplaced here. Couple of things:

More than 2 weeks ago there were back-to-back news items that should've sent up red flags about Charles' availability to start the season.
    Maybe you drafted before that point, so let's take those out of the equation...
    The guy's had multiple ACL surgeries, one of which he's still recovering from.
    He'll be 30 in December.
    There's no reason for KC to rush him back.
    His ADP was in the middle of the 2nd round so there's some value there if you get a top 5 RB in that slot, but also some risk.

The other thing, too, is that he's only missed 2 games. You couldn't reasonably have expected to get him for 16 games this year in any case. Maybe it's that he'll play 14 straight and still be a bargain. Looks like he'll be ready to go this week.
My name is Peaches and I'm the best.

hibsports
Rookie

Postby hibsports » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:24 am

This is what DS wrote for Charles' season projections and outlook:

"Is Charles' downside enough to stay away in 2016?

Back in 2011, Charles lasted only 2 games before suffering a torn left ACL.
Last season, he managed 5 appearances before encountering the same injury – this time to his right ACL.
The 29-year-old looked poised for another strong season. His 5 healthy games produced 71 carries for 364 yards (5.1 yards per carry) and 4 scores. He also started hot as a receiver, notching 21 catches for 177 yards and 1 score.
Charles’ 4 healthy games put him on pace for a hefty 80 targets. There’s a history of high receiving usage alongside HC Andy Reid, as he helped feed the veteran 104 targets (and 70 catches) in 2013. Charles saw a moderate 59 targets in 14 games in 2014, but he played through a host of injuries.
Now, health is the biggest factor when projecting his 2016 production. Charles, at 5’11 and 200 pounds, relies on speed and sharp cuts to rack up yardage. So any loss of explosiveness could be crippling.
Fortunately, though, word out of Kansas City has stayed positive. Charles initial surgery went well, as did a follow-up stem-cell treatment designed to accelerate the healing. He resumed running in April, and the team has remained optimistic that he’ll be ready for training camp. By all indications, it would take a setback for Charles to miss the season opener.
But that’s not to say that he’ll return to a workhorse load. The Chiefs extended the contracts of 2015 fill-in RBs Charcandrick West and Spencer Ware. Last year, they combined for 232 carries, 1037 yards and 10 rushing scores. Ware, at roughly 230 pounds, has the frame to steal work near the goal line. West is a shifty, speedy player in the mold of Charles.
There’s a real chance that the Chiefs cut down on his workload this season. He’s a smaller back nearing 30, and with 2 torn ACLs in his past, there’s an elevated risk for re-injury. Plus, Ware and West showed enough last year to remain at least part-time contributors.
We’re not looking for a true running back by committee here. But we do expect Charles to settle into roughly 15 touches per game – and not the 20 he saw last season.
Of course, a smaller workload doesn’t crush Charles’ fantasy worth. He saw 16.4 touches per game in 2014 and finished 7th among PPR RBs. He relied on TDs, however, scoring 14 times.
He’s also the all-time leader in yards per carry (5.5) among RBs. He’s reached at least 5.0 yards in each of his 8 pro seasons. And he owns a highly impressive 8.6 yards per catch mark for his career.
We’ll need to see Charles in training camp to get a real gauge of his health. But he did emerge from his 1st torn ACL strong, posting a career-best rushing line (285-1,509-5) the following season.
His supporting cast – led by Jeremy Maclin and Travis Kelce – looks excellent this time around. There’s less stability on the O-line, though, where both guard spots are up for grabs. LT Eric Fisher, RT Mitchell Schwartz and C Mitch Morse are locked into their spots. We’ve seen Charles rack up yardage behind worse units, and it certainly helps that he’s able to do damage out of the backfield.

Draft Sharks Bottom Line:
Charles certainly carries a ton of downside.
He’s almost 30 years old, and he’s coming off his 2nd career torn ACL. He watched last year as Charcandrick West and Spencer Ware produced in spurts last season. At least one of them figures to spell Charles at times, limiting the veterans’ volume upside. But it’s the best arrangement for long-term durability.
Ultimately, Charles isn’t a player we’re actively targeting early in drafts. But he does become a tempting target any time he drops to late Round 2 or Round 3 of PPR drafts."

This was posted weeks before the season began. They ranked him 13th before the season. As was mentioned before, there were updates closer to the season that warned that Charles might miss a couple of games or more.

DS did its job of keeping us informed. That's all they can do. It's up to us to utilize that information.
14-team league, 16-player roster; 1st eight players via auction ($100), 2nd eight via snake; TEs as WRs
(fractional scoring; 1 pt/10 yds rush/rec, 1 pt/25 yds pass; 4 pts/pass TD; no PPR)
QB — Dalton, Cutler
RB — Freeman, Montgomery, DMartin, Rodgers, Jonathan Williams, Smallwood
WR/TE -- Gronkowski, Crowder, Decker, Britt, Rudolph, RAnderson
K — Lambo
DST — KC

"Life is not that complicated. You get up, you go to work, you eat three meals, you take one good sh-- and you go back to bed. What's the f-ing mystery?" -- George Carlin

rso
Rookie

Postby rso » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:52 am

I got that message loud and clear from DS prior to the draft.... Buyer Beware

hiphophead
Reef Shark

Postby hiphophead » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:26 am

If you were going to draft Charles this season it was a must at the time to draft Ware later on.
12 team , standard scoring , 6 pt for passing td
Start 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1Flex
Qb- Manning,Winston
Rb - Charles, Ware, M.Jones,Crowell, Riddick
WR - Aj Green,Hilton,Cooper,Crowder
TE - Kelce

Return to “Shark Talk”