BEST BALL STRATEGY

Only Fantasy/NFL chat. Ask-ish threads & other debris gets swept off the highway. It's not personal.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

hutch360
Reef Shark

BEST BALL STRATEGY

Postby hutch360 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:44 pm

YOUR 2015 ARTICLE ON BEST BALL DRAFTING STRATEGY RECOMMENDED DRAFTING 4 RB'S IN 1ST 5 RD'S. APPARENTLY THAT ISN'T THE CASE NOW. SMOLA DRAFTED ONLY 3 RBS IN THE 1ST 6 RDS. IT APPEARS THE MVP BOARD DICTATES THE PICKS FOR BEST BALL AND TRADITIONAL REDRAFT LEAGUES. IN THE END THE NUMBER OF PLAYERS AT EACH POSITION IS THE SAME BUT THE ORDER IS MVP DRIVEN?

DS Jared
Site Admin

Re: BEST BALL STRATEGY

Postby DS Jared » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:22 pm

There's no set rule for these drafts. It's much more art than science. I'm using a combination of the MVP Board and the general best-ball strategy -- along with reacting to what's available at each pick. Also remember that this is an FFPC league, so the starting lineups and scoring rules are different than the MFL10 setup those 2015 articles referred to.
Glad Tim Biakabatuka is out of the league.

skiballs68
DRAFT SHARK

Re: BEST BALL STRATEGY

Postby skiballs68 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:24 pm

I don't play FFPC, but in MFL10s there are a couple general strategies that seem to work. Beyond that there are multiple ways to skin a cat as they say. This sounds trite, but no strategy works better than "pick the right players". In some sense roster construction isn't as important as finding 2-3 guys that significantly outkick their ADPs. Last year, snagging Zeke in round 2, Shady in round 3 and then a guy like Davante Adams late were key in scoring some cash. In 2015, rosters with Devontae Freeman (a mid round pick) had a distinct advantage.

Last year was a great one for the top RBs, which is pushing their ADPs up. So it's harder to do 3-4 straight RB picks this year in MFLs. Some like the Zero RB approach, but I think that's a tough way to go with no waiver wire. I find myself going more balanced this year so far, as a result.

Overall, I'm a believer that you can build a nice weekly floor with middle roundish WRs (draft 7-8 of them), assuming you can solidify your RB starters with a couple early picks. I usually try to look at rounds 9-11 for a 2QB platoon. This year, you can pair up players like Dalton and Tyrod pretty easily.

Definitely use the MVP board and the MFL 10 ADP explorer tool. It's great for strategizing your upcoming picks and identifying when a value player may be falling to you. It helps to score those guys that slide past their ADPs.

Return to “Shark Talk”