Private/Direct message feature?

Only Fantasy/NFL chat. Ask-ish threads & other debris gets swept off the highway. It's not personal.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

skiballs68
DRAFT SHARK

Private/Direct message feature?

Postby skiballs68 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:33 pm

I know DS forums used to provide a DM/PM function for members to contact each other directly. But it seems to no longer exist? Can a DS staffer help with this?

DS Jared
Site Admin

Re: Private/Direct message feature?

Postby DS Jared » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:11 pm

It looks like the updated version of the message board we use got rid of it. I just looked for a way to re-add it and couldn't find anything.

There is an email option if you click on a username.
Glad Tim Biakabatuka is out of the league.

skiballs68
DRAFT SHARK

Postby skiballs68 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Jared- when I select a user name it takes me to a user profile page for them but I don;t see any method for reaching them. There's a header that says "Contact xxxx" but then there's nothing displayed there, like a link to message or email that person. I'm using Chrome- maybe its a browser thing?

DS Jared
Site Admin

Postby DS Jared » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Maybe the email option only appears if the user provided their email. I see it on your page, for example.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.24.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 11.24.58 AM.png (13.06 KiB) Viewed 327 times

ProfPoobah
Rookie

Postby ProfPoobah » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Jared,

I wonder if that capability is because you're recognized as DS personnel. The screenshot I attached shows (or at least was supposed to show) that I do not have that option
Attachments
Capture-DS.PNG
Capture-DS.PNG (31.4 KiB) Viewed 323 times

DS Jared
Site Admin

Postby DS Jared » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:38 am

Ah good call. That must be it. I'm going to keep looking into the direct message feature ...

bigdog
DRAFT SHARK

Postby bigdog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:39 pm

I know its been awhile since It has been brought up, but a cursory glance of the forums over at phpbb indicate that private messaging is still a feature. Since I've used this exact software in the past, I feel as if I am qualified to say that it would surprise me greatly that they would remove this feature in an update. Seems counter-intuitive to the vast majority of forums anywhere on the internet. On top of this, when poking around in the user control panel, it states things that would not be stated if the feature was just "removed". It also says things about the ability of the administrator to "disable" private messaging. Its possible that setting was set by default during the update though.

The email thing doesn't seem to work as a secondary option, and just making a post on the board doesn't alert those who don't come and check on a daily basis or those that aren't subscribed to a forum (or sub forum/thread). Typically, unless specifically turned off, private messaging does this, and is a great way that many of us communicate on forums, especially if you don't want to just post your email address out to the www for anyone to grab.

That said, if you need a forum administrator, I would be happy to offer my services, as I understand this time of year must be very busy. I'm fairly certain, most things about phpbb have not changed much since the last time I had my own board hosted.
QB – R.Wilson,J.McCown,D.Watson***
RB – D.Martin,D.Lewis,R.Burkhead,T.Cohen,J.Stewart,Jon Williams**,C.McCaffrey***,J.Howard**, D.Cobb*
WR/TE – D.Adams,S.Diggs,M.Crabtree,M.Lee,V.Davis,J.Reed,C.Clay,J.Strong*
K – H.Butker,J.Lambo
DEF – Chiefs, Broncos
* - Free Keeper until ’17,** - Free Keeper until ’18,*** - Free Keeper until ‘19

4 pts – pass td , -0.5 for int
6 pts – rush/rec td
0.5 pts - ppr
1 pt – 45 yds pass, 2 pt bonus @ 300 yds
1 pt – 15 yards rush/rec,1 pt bonus @ 100 yds rush,3 pt bonus @ 100 yds rec

DS Jared
Site Admin

Postby DS Jared » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:20 pm

You're right bigdog ... private messaging did get disabled somehow. I just re-enabled it, so it should be good to go now.

bigdog
DRAFT SHARK

Postby bigdog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Awesome! Thanks Jared!
QB – R.Wilson,J.McCown,D.Watson***
RB – D.Martin,D.Lewis,R.Burkhead,T.Cohen,J.Stewart,Jon Williams**,C.McCaffrey***,J.Howard**, D.Cobb*
WR/TE – D.Adams,S.Diggs,M.Crabtree,M.Lee,V.Davis,J.Reed,C.Clay,J.Strong*
K – H.Butker,J.Lambo
DEF – Chiefs, Broncos
* - Free Keeper until ’17,** - Free Keeper until ’18,*** - Free Keeper until ‘19

4 pts – pass td , -0.5 for int
6 pts – rush/rec td
0.5 pts - ppr
1 pt – 45 yds pass, 2 pt bonus @ 300 yds
1 pt – 15 yards rush/rec,1 pt bonus @ 100 yds rush,3 pt bonus @ 100 yds rec

Return to “Shark Talk”