Looking to the Sharks for some draft advice...

Only Fantasy/NFL chat. Ask-ish threads & other debris gets swept off the highway. It's not personal.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

commish.lafl
Reef Shark

Looking to the Sharks for some draft advice...

Postby commish.lafl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:25 pm

I have pick 6 of 10 in the 2nd league in my sig (IDP and PPR) -- I am looking for some advice/discussion on the first 2 rounds.

Notable skill players being kept and therefore not in the draft pool:
RBs: Johnson (me, 16th), Murray, Gordon, Ajayi, Freeman
WRs: Evans, Nelson, MThomas (me, 21st)

I've a good start with a (presumably) top-2 RB and top-10 (?) WR. I really want Ezekiel Elliot, but I am 99.99% certain that he won'd drop to me at 15. (I'm a Cowboys fan, ugh.)

My initial plan was to take Green or Beckham at 6. (Although if Jones falls somehow I'd take him). This leaves me (probably) with likely RB choices at 15 of: Howard/Montgomery/McCaffrey. (It's usually good in our league to have 2 dependable RBs.) If Kuechly or Watt falls to me at 15, I have to give them consideration as well.

My other option is to get Zeke at 6 (please don't yell at me about reaching and suspension), which would leave me with likely WR choices at 15 of: Cooper(maybe)/Cooks/DThomas/Bryant. A solid start either way.

So my question to Sharks: am I stupid for wanting Zeke at 6? There's the "draft well/smart" approach, and there's the "draft who you want" approach. It feels weird to lean towards the latter.

Comments and/or suggestions?
Big Damn Heroes: *Keeper, Pass 1/75yd, 4/TD; Run/Rec 1/25yd, 6/TD
QB *Prescott, Rivers
RB Crowell, Hyde, Powell, Perkins, JWilliams
WR ABrown, DBryant, MBryant, Britt, TyWilliams, Doctson
TE Graham, Engram

Clockwork Angels: IDP+PPR, *Keeper, TD 3/6/9, PYds 1/30, R/RYds 1/10
QB Mariota, Dalton, Wentz
RB *DaJohnson, Hunt, Powell, DMartin, Carson
WR *MThomas, OBJ, Crabtree, Garcon, Hogan, Godwin
TE Olsen, Gathers
DL Ingram, Wilkerson, Ogbah, Spence
LB *Kwon, Kuechly, Freeman, Houston, VIgil, James
DB Joseph, SDavis, BJones

Hornsfan78
DRAFT SHARK

Re: Looking to the Sharks for some draft advice...

Postby Hornsfan78 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm

I have been going back and forth on Zeke for a few weeks now. At first I was going to keep him at 1.10. Then the suspension came down and I thought he might fall to me at 2.01 and then I could have him for the '18 and '19 seasons as well. Then as talk of the reduced suspension and legal action started and I started looking at who others might be keeping and who would be available, I convinced myself he wasn't going to make it to me at the end of the first round / beginning of the second. We had to declare keepers on Friday and my worst case scenario was to let him go on Friday and then a reduced suspension being announced today (Monday) with our draft on Tuesday. I also gave some thought to (if I dropped him) using the 2.01 pick on one of the rookie backs and being able to have them for 3 years ('17, '18 & '19). But I ended up keeping Zeke and will have to take the best WR available at 2.01. I am fortunate that I also have D Johnson and Jordan Howard as late round keepers, so even if Zeke has to sit out 6 games I can be competitive and then be set up nicely for the playoffs, assuming no catastrophic injuries to anybody.

Bottom line, I would have no problem with you taking Zeke at 1.06, especially if that means you could keep him next year as well.

Good Luck!
2016 Champion 9 Hot Dogs & a Taco and DS Keeper League
9 Hot Dogs & a Taco
10 Team Keeper league
'17 Draft Round (x) *=Keepers
QBs: R Wilson (4),
RBs:*Da Johnson (18) *E Elliott (1) *J Howard (20) A Kamara (16) Rawls (WW) Darkwa (WW) Burkhead (WW)
Woodhead (WW) C Carson (WW)
WRs: *K Benjamin (19) A Cooper (2) G Tate (3) D Jax (5) J Doctson (WW) C Davis (WW) C Coleman (WW)
TE: *T Kelce (7)

Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, Flex, TE, DEF, K
1pt per 10 ru/re 25 pa; All TD's 6pts

commish.lafl
Reef Shark

Postby commish.lafl » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks. Our keepers are 5 rounds higher than previous year, so nobody in rounds 1-5 can be kept... keeps our pool of high profile players fresher than most leagues. Zeke got picked at 1.5 right before me, so I ended up taking OBJ over AJ.

Full team now in my sig!
Big Damn Heroes: *Keeper, Pass 1/75yd, 4/TD; Run/Rec 1/25yd, 6/TD
QB *Prescott, Rivers
RB Crowell, Hyde, Powell, Perkins, JWilliams
WR ABrown, DBryant, MBryant, Britt, TyWilliams, Doctson
TE Graham, Engram

Clockwork Angels: IDP+PPR, *Keeper, TD 3/6/9, PYds 1/30, R/RYds 1/10
QB Mariota, Dalton, Wentz
RB *DaJohnson, Hunt, Powell, DMartin, Carson
WR *MThomas, OBJ, Crabtree, Garcon, Hogan, Godwin
TE Olsen, Gathers
DL Ingram, Wilkerson, Ogbah, Spence
LB *Kwon, Kuechly, Freeman, Houston, VIgil, James
DB Joseph, SDavis, BJones

bigdog
DRAFT SHARK

Postby bigdog » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Looks like you did just fine. :)
QB – R.Wilson,J.McCown,D.Watson***
RB – D.Martin,D.Lewis,R.Burkhead,T.Cohen,J.Stewart,Jon Williams**,C.McCaffrey***,J.Howard**, D.Cobb*
WR/TE – D.Adams,S.Diggs,M.Crabtree,M.Lee,V.Davis,J.Reed,C.Clay,J.Strong*
K – H.Butker,J.Lambo
DEF – Chiefs, Broncos
* - Free Keeper until ’17,** - Free Keeper until ’18,*** - Free Keeper until ‘19

4 pts – pass td , -0.5 for int
6 pts – rush/rec td
0.5 pts - ppr
1 pt – 45 yds pass, 2 pt bonus @ 300 yds
1 pt – 15 yards rush/rec,1 pt bonus @ 100 yds rush,3 pt bonus @ 100 yds rec

skiballs68
DRAFT SHARK

Postby skiballs68 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:19 pm

I didn't see this in time, but I definitely would have gone with OBJ > Zeke. Even before the suspension, there was an argument to be made that an elite WR in PPR was a better pick than Elliott anyway.

Return to “Shark Talk”