College Bowl Games

Any non-football topics: video games, movies, politics, chicks, poker, but be respectful.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

skiballs68
DRAFT SHARK

College Bowl Games

Postby skiballs68 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm not necessarily tied to tradition here, as I thought some years ago the addition of a couple extra New Year's Bowl games was kind of cool (i.e. Fiesta Bowl & Gator Bowl). But the NCAA/BCS has, for me anyway, completely stripped New Year's Day of its Bowl Game excitement. First of all, I grew up with the Big 4: Cotton, Orange, Sugar, and Rose. Now only the Rose Bowl (once known as the "Grandaddy of them All") will be played Jan 1st.

There are bowl games on the 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th, with the BCS title game played on January 10th?!? I honestly don't even know what day of the week that is right now. And why should anyone other than your local bookie care what happens in the bowl games scheduled between Jan 1st and the title game? Case in point- the Jan 8th game features Pitt (7-5) vs. Kentucky (6-6). :shock:

While all of this may be great for TV ratings and revenues, it has completely killed the fun of NYD for casual college FB fans like yours truly. The current system has essentially made it so that only one Bowl game actually matters at all. I'm an Illinois alum, and I didn't watch a single snap of yesterday's Illini bowl victory.

homer
DRAFT SHARK

Re: College Bowl Games

Postby homer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:11 am

I totally agree ski. I too grew up watching all the bowl games New Years Day, starting at 1o or 11 am in the morning and ending like 10 or 11 at night. Flipping back and forth watching some exciting college football. I am not a diehard college football fan but that day was always the day that I watch the most college football all year. Now I am like ski, I really dont care and what is up with the last bowl game getting later and later. Soon it will be almost February before they play. Which is sad cause it is already like 4-6 weeks wait for the teams in the title game. Now what I do is watch the outdoor NHL hockey game ever year while I take down all the Christmas stuff. Still a good time but the BCS sure did screw up a good thing.

Damn Yankee
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Damn Yankee » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:22 pm

My interest in College Football has decreased SIGNIFICANTLY due to the BCS. I hate it...I don't respect it...and I think TCU is getting HOSED this year. It's BS and I'm not interested anymore.
If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand - Phil Helmuth

homer
DRAFT SHARK

Postby homer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:30 pm

TCU!
TCU!
TCU!
TCU!

Live about 15 minutes from campus, they had an awesome year.

Hornsfan78
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Hornsfan78 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 am

The best thing we can do is NOT watch the BCS games.

I can't imagine that they aren't losing market share by spreading them out so much.

The only way to get a playoff is if the tv revenues for BCS games goes down.
2016 Champion 9 Hot Dogs & a Taco and DS Keeper League
9 Hot Dogs & a Taco
10 Team Keeper league
'17 Draft Round (x) *=Keepers
QBs: R Wilson (4), A Luck (14)
RBs:*Da Johnson (18) *E Elliott (1) *J Howard (20) R Kelly (6) C Carson (13) A Kamara (16) J Allen (WW)
WRs: *K Benjamin (19) A Cooper (2) G Tate (3) D Jax (5) Ty Williams (8) J Maclin (9) C Coleman (10)
TE: *T Kelce (7)

Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, Flex, TE, DEF, K
1pt per 10 ru/re 25 pa; All TD's 6pts

DS Brett
Reef Shark

Postby DS Brett » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Who does the winner of the Beef-O-Brady Bowl play again?
Brett Barclay
DraftSharks.com

"Nobody really compares to DS in terms of projections, analysis, updates, etc." --poolypants

Return to “Non-Football Chat”