Why we talk about sports

Any non-football topics: video games, movies, politics, chicks, poker, but be respectful.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

Sean1022
DRAFT SHARK

Why we talk about sports

Postby Sean1022 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:17 am

Probably not the right forum but shark talk gets the most views. I was thumbing through an issue of SI and I came across a short article where SI is putting together a show where they interview Americans and have everyday people talk about they think the greatest sports moment was? Greatest comeback? Most heroic athlete? Greatest rivalry? And so forth. It got me thinking and for it has to be the miracle on ice. I was only six when it happened and being from california, didn't watch much hockey, but I get the chills watching the movie and seeing taped footage.

What about you guys? What is the greatest sports moment for you sharks?

Another one I just thought of was NC state beating Georgetown. I imagine this list could on and on.

Thought it would good to take a trip down memory lane.
teams 1 and 2 - 1 pt 10 yds rushing/rec, 1 ppr, 6 td, 1 pt 25 yds passing, 4 tds

Team 1 (10 team) - start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te
qb: Brady, Wentz
rb: Dalvin Cook, B. Powell, J. White, A. Kamara
wr: Green, M. Thomas, B. Cooks, S. Diggs, T. Williams, JJ Nelson
te: Ertz, Doyle

team 2(10 team) - start 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 flex (rb, wr, te)
qb: Mariota, Wilson
Rb: D. Murray, Fournette, D. Henry, Riddick
wr: A. Brown, K. Allen, S. Diggs, Crowder
te: stream

omiller315
DRAFT SHARK

Re: Why we talk about sports

Postby omiller315 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:34 am

Sean1022 wrote:Probably not the right forum but shark talk gets the most views. I was thumbing through an issue of SI and I came across a short article where SI is putting together a show where they interview Americans and have everyday people talk about they think the greatest sports moment was? Greatest comeback? Most heroic athlete? Greatest rivalry? And so forth. It got me thinking and for it has to be the miracle on ice. I was only six when it happened and being from california, didn't watch much hockey, but I get the chills watching the movie and seeing taped footage.

Another one I just thought of was NC state beating Georgetown. I imagine this list could on and on.

My greatest sports moment is simple. This will definitely not be the consensus.. 2004 Masters. Being a left handed golfer and a life long Phil fan, it was def the greatest sports moment of my life. again this is all personal and not monumental for a country or anything. Both my deceased grand parents were over and I remember Phil finally winning. All the years of the "Greatest Golfer to Never Win a Major" and many of years of ridicule from friends. This for me was the best. Close 2nd was the 2010 Master with Amy finally in attendance after a fight with breast cancer. I am sorry, but if you didnt tear up, then you must be a Tiger fan!!!!. You know that infedlic SOB.. Ok I am down ranting now.

MOSS YO
DRAFT SHARK

Postby MOSS YO » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:08 am

Pats upsetting the Rams

Superbowl 36

My kids are pissed...their births are almost up there....

-MOSS YO!

hahaah yall know thats a joke right?!?!?!?....but ummm... yeah it was close
"That guy doesn't know the meaning of the word fear. In fact, I just saw his grades, and he doesn't know the meaning of a lot of words..."

- Bobby Bowden on one of his FSU linebackers

omiller315
DRAFT SHARK

Postby omiller315 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:05 pm

Sean1022 wrote:Probably not the right forum but shark talk gets the most views. I was thumbing through an issue of SI and I came across a short article where SI is putting together a show where they interview Americans and have everyday people talk about they think the greatest sports moment was? Greatest comeback? Most heroic athlete? Greatest rivalry? And so forth. It got me thinking and for it has to be the miracle on ice. I was only six when it happened and being from california, didn't watch much hockey, but I get the chills watching the movie and seeing taped footage.

The movie is on now and I never saw it before. Being a Philly suburb native, I just saw that Pelle Linbergh was the Swedish goalie. Good movie so far...

Sean1022
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Sean1022 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:03 pm

I just caught the ending. Another great moment was Kirk gibson's home run off eck game game 1 of the world series. I heard bob costas talk about how he was in the dodgers club house right before that at bat and gibby was hitting a ball off the warming up. Costas thought there was no way he would get an at bat with the way he was grunting in pain every time he swung the bat.
teams 1 and 2 - 1 pt 10 yds rushing/rec, 1 ppr, 6 td, 1 pt 25 yds passing, 4 tds

Team 1 (10 team) - start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te
qb: Brady, Wentz
rb: Dalvin Cook, B. Powell, J. White, A. Kamara
wr: Green, M. Thomas, B. Cooks, S. Diggs, T. Williams, JJ Nelson
te: Ertz, Doyle

team 2(10 team) - start 1 qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 flex (rb, wr, te)
qb: Mariota, Wilson
Rb: D. Murray, Fournette, D. Henry, Riddick
wr: A. Brown, K. Allen, S. Diggs, Crowder
te: stream

Hornsfan78
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Hornsfan78 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:58 pm

If you are talking about greatest sports moment for me personally, then that is pretty easy. 2006 Rose Bowl (for 2005 season). National Championship game. USC fans weren't even acknowledging that Texas had a chance to win. I was in the opposite end zone of where the final score happened, so I had no depth perception of the play, but I saw it unfold perfectly. VY took the snap in the shotgun. Pressure came in from the left that he avoided, then, a big gap opened up on the right. I knew as soon as I saw that gap that VY was going to score. He took off and ran it into the endzone.

The entire game was amazing, but that was obviously the pinnacle moment.
2016 Champion 9 Hot Dogs & a Taco and DS Keeper League
9 Hot Dogs & a Taco
10 Team Keeper league
'17 Draft Round (x) *=Keepers
QBs: R Wilson (4),
RBs:*Da Johnson (18) *E Elliott (1) *J Howard (20) A Kamara (16) Rawls (WW) Darkwa (WW) Burkhead (WW)
Woodhead (WW) C Carson (WW)
WRs: *K Benjamin (19) A Cooper (2) G Tate (3) D Jax (5) J Doctson (WW) C Davis (WW) C Coleman (WW)
TE: *T Kelce (7)

Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, Flex, TE, DEF, K
1pt per 10 ru/re 25 pa; All TD's 6pts

Simakos
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Simakos » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:12 am

I'll go with Bird stealing Isiah's inbound pass and hitting DJ for that game winner. Impossibly clutch.

Ranger1
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Ranger1 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:55 am

Totally selfish, but it was Super Bowl XX. Bears 46, Patriots 10.

That will have to do until the Cubs win the World Series.
Michael Scott: "What is the most inspiring thing ever said to you?
Dwight Schrute: "Don't be an idiot. Changed my life."
Dwight Schrute: "Whenever I'm about to do something, I think 'would an idiot do that?', and if they would, I do not do that thing."

homer
DRAFT SHARK

Postby homer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:51 am

I would have to say when Penn St beat Miami in the 87 Fiesta Bowl. Miami outgained Penn State on the field, 445 yards to 162, with 22 first downs compared to the Penn St 8. However, Miami were hampered by 7 turnovers, including 5 interceptions of the Heisman-winning Testaverde.On fourth-and-goal, with 18 seconds left, Testaverde threw to the end zone, but was intercepted by Giftopoulos. The interception, Giftopoulos' second of the game (and Testaverde's fifth), ensured Penn State's second national title in five years. Miami was a huge favorite and lost 14-10.

tavo2311
Tiger Shark

Postby tavo2311 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm torn between three that I was at personally(I consider myself very lucky). I don't know if I could even decide between many I wasn't at.

11/9/06 - Rutgers 8-0, beating #3 ranked Louisville on ESPN Thursday night national TV. For so many years I couldn't even get people to come to a Rutgers game with me. They might tailgate, but then they would leave. We were SOOOOO bad for SOOOOOO long, that to get to 9-0, in a comeback like that, as huge underdogs, and introduce Rutgers to the country.... It was one of the best nights ever for me.

10/16/03 - Aaron Boone. I was just recently returned from the war in Iraq, and had some very great people show their appreciation with things like tickets to Giants - Cowboys Monday night, and tickets to potential ALCS game 7 at Yankee Stadium. It was my wife's birthday, and I dragged her with two other friends of mine to the game. Pedro dominated for awhile, and then, well, Grady Little happened. The next day at work was just like floating around. It lessened the meaning a bit when the Marlins won the World Series, and even more so when the Sawx won the Series the following season, but at that specific time, it was simply unbelievable.

7/18/98 - David Cone's perfect game. 100 degree day, hungover with all my friends, and the Expos on the schedule....ewwww. We were "this" close to not leaving the house. But my brother runs this bus ride as a church fund raiser every year, and we had already committed. So we begrudgingly left the house at like 9 am and headed up to the game. During the half hour rain delay for a thunderstorm (that only provided temporary relief then made it worse) I remember saying "if we're staying through this, Cone better keep this no-hitter." Ha! I actually just got my stub signed by him last month after hoping for a chance for 13 years. He mentioned it was so ridiculously hot he didn't want to go to the stadium either!
2016 Draft Sharks Keeper League (0-0)
QB:
RB:
WR:
TE:
DEF:

omiller315
DRAFT SHARK

Postby omiller315 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 pm

tavo2311 wrote:I'm torn between three that I was at personally(I consider myself very lucky). I don't know if I could even decide between many I wasn't at.

11/9/06 - Rutgers 8-0, beating #3 ranked Louisville on ESPN Thursday night national TV. For so many years I couldn't even get people to come to a Rutgers game with me. They might tailgate, but then they would leave. We were SOOOOO bad for SOOOOOO long, that to get to 9-0, in a comeback like that, as huge underdogs, and introduce Rutgers to the country.... It was one of the best nights ever for me.

10/16/03 - Aaron Boone. I was just recently returned from the war in Iraq, and had some very great people show their appreciation with things like tickets to Giants - Cowboys Monday night, and tickets to potential ALCS game 7 at Yankee Stadium. It was my wife's birthday, and I dragged her with two other friends of mine to the game. Pedro dominated for awhile, and then, well, Grady Little happened. The next day at work was just like floating around. It lessened the meaning a bit when the Marlins won the World Series, and even more so when the Sawx won the Series the following season, but at that specific time, it was simply unbelievable.

7/18/98 - David Cone's perfect game. 100 degree day, hungover with all my friends, and the Expos on the schedule....ewwww. We were "this" close to not leaving the house. But my brother runs this bus ride as a church fund raiser every year, and we had already committed. So we begrudgingly left the house at like 9 am and headed up to the game. During the half hour rain delay for a thunderstorm (that only provided temporary relief then made it worse) I remember saying "if we're staying through this, Cone better keep this no-hitter." Ha! I actually just got my stub signed by him last month after hoping for a chance for 13 years. He mentioned it was so ridiculously hot he didn't want to go to the stadium either!

Good stories Tavo....

Crowdog
Reef Shark

Postby Crowdog » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:15 am

Mine is probably not shared by many, but it was awesome. My freshmen year of college, bonfire fell and 12 Texas A&M students were killed prior to the annual Thanksgiving game against the Longhorns. Our campus was in a state of shock. I helped pull logs off the pile, as medics literally pulled bodies out from the rubble around us. None of us were really mentally prepared when Texas showed up to Kyle Field for the football game. The Longhorns were favored, as they typically are, but we put in a solid first half. During halftime, the Texas band actually paid homage to A&M and its fallen, lowering their flags and forming the A&M block T formation in an incredibly classy move. A&M went on to win the game, which was amazing. But, more than anything, I was so impressed that two big-time rivals showed so much respect for one another, recognizing that in the big picture, the game wasn't the most important thing that day. I'll never forget it.

CheeseHusker
Tiger Shark

Postby CheeseHusker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:38 pm

Oh man....where to begin? How to define "greatest"?

Watching Jordan leap and fist pump after nailing The Shot over Mark Ehlo?

Nebraska absolutely crushing Florida in the Orange Bowl?

The Raiders beating Minnesota and finally winning the Big One and seeing my dad cry for the only time?

Matt Shabert coming off the bench to throw a picture perfect pass to Lee Evans to help the Badgers beat tOSU? I've never felt a louder stadium.

Could go on and on....Fisk's last at bat at the Old Commiskey and all the flashbulbs going off, Michael Johnson's 200 in Atlanta, Bo knows how to blow up the Boz, Scott Frost's OT score at Notre Dame, I do Believe in Miracles, Kellen Winslow's absolute studliness in the OT loss to Miami....

But I'll go with my undersized, bench riding son coming onto the field to play nose tackle - and making a critical sack to seal a win, disappearing under a pile of his celebrating teammates.
Heap O'Turtles

Return to “Non-Football Chat”