Need some computer help

Any non-football topics: video games, movies, politics, chicks, poker, but be respectful.

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

PINETAR
Rookie

Need some computer help

Postby PINETAR » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:07 am

I was drafting a team using my laptop yesterday with Mozilla Firefox and starting noticing that the MVP Board was slow to respond to the Mine/Theirs functions about an hour into the draft. So, I closed my browser and tried to relogin.

Then, I started getting a message when trying to open up Draftsharks.com that I was being redirected towards an information page about qksrv.net. Then, it goes to this website: conversantmedia.com/legal/privacy. I was able to finish the draft just by picking some of the same players that I had from a previous draft. I got home and was able to logon to Draftsharks on my home computer and enter picks using the MVP board.

I did some research on qksrv.net and found it could be spyware. I tried deleting the cookies that it was causing, block cookies on the Draftsharks website, ran my anti-virus software, purchased malwarebytes and ran it to try to get it deleted, and then uninstalled and reinstalled Mozilla Firefox. I am still being redirected to the conversantmedia.com/legal/privacy website after all of that.

Has anyone had any of these issues?

bigdog
DRAFT SHARK

Re: Need some computer help

Postby bigdog » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Hard to say. The issues related to the slow mvp boards have been popping up recently, so your not alone. I suspect they will subside with the NFL starting this week, less people will be on. I'm not sure if it is caused by traffic or something else. I don't think we all have some malware causing this issue though.

As for the qksrv or the conversantmedia thing, there is some stuff out there about editing a HOSTS file of some sort, so maybe looking into that would help your issue. If it happens in every browser, at least you know it is not related to a specific browser. It could also be related to a browser "add-on" so you could try disabling those one at a time to see if the problem goes away.

I've not had much success fixing browser hijack issues. This one seems the least nasty of ones I have seen, almost all which have ended up in a full reinstall of the operating system. I usually give it about 12 hours spread over 2 or 3 days of my time. If I can't get it right, I backup only the important documents or pictures of whatever, and blow that drive away and start over.

Hope you have better success than I.
QB – A.Rodgers,A.Dalton,D.Watson***
RB – D.Martin,D.Lewis,T.Riddick,J.Richard,T.Cohen,Jon Williams**,C.McCaffrey***,D.Washington**, D.Cobb*
WR/TE – D.Adams,W.Snead,M.Crabtree,J.Reed,Ty.Williams,P.Richardson,M.Bennett,J.Strong*
K – M.Crosby,K.Fairbairn
DEF – Chiefs,Falcons
* - Free Keeper until ’17,** - Free Keeper until ’18,*** - Free Keeper until ‘19

4 pts – pass td , -0.5 for int
6 pts – rush/rec td
0.5 pts - ppr
1 pt – 45 yds pass, 2 pt bonus @ 300 yds
1 pt – 15 yards rush/rec,1 pt bonus @ 100 yds rush,3 pt bonus @ 100 yds rec

omiller315
DRAFT SHARK

Re: Need some computer help

Postby omiller315 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:24 pm

I am not sure if you are still having troubles. 2 more programs I run all the time to clean up junk on people's computers. JRT and ADWCleaner. I run those and Malwarebytes and usually cleans up everything. Google them and JRT should take you to bleepingcomputer and ADWCleaner is here.
https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdown ... dwcleaner/

JRT will do all the work for you. ADWCleaner will show you what it found. I check them all and let it clean. Both fix browser hijacks, scheduled tasks, services, etc.

Return to “Non-Football Chat”