Trade Morality Question...

Keep your scrums, grumbling, and vents here (but be civil). Or just be happy and beat your chest!

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

mkuter
Rookie

Trade Morality Question...

Postby mkuter » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:19 pm

Not really sure how to phrase this but I am in a 16 team league, which is in my sig as well. Anyway, I made some trades this season. Well my rival has been calling me out on them quite abit. Week 2 I pulled off a trade that I gave up Jordy Nelson, Lamar Millar and Moreno for Arian Foster and D Thomas. He called me a thief, kept trash talking and what not.

I said whatever, I thought it was a good trade and I benefited from it especially when Moreno got injured the week after. Fast forward to 1 week ago I traded Sanu for Kaepernick straight up. The Kaepernick owner has Russel Wilson, so Kaep was sitting on his bench collecting dust. I offered, the owner accepted and it was done. Again my rival called me out on it.

So now to the morality of the situation. Yesterday, we get a notification there was a trade. Rival's team traded away Antone Smith and Rashard Jennings for Calvin Johsnon and Knile Davis. The owner who gave up Megatron had some issues at RB but he could have and should have gotten much more for him.

Anyway, I guess I want to see what people think about that Megatron deal? I am personally of the mindset that it takes two to trade, so you can't really blame just one person in a bad trade. But still, this gives this guy a huge advantage going into the playoffs that he really should have paid more for.

The one redeeming factor in this all is I wiped the floor with my rival this week, so there was that.
16 Team PPR Start - 1QB, 1RB, 1WR 2FLEX DEF KICK
QB - Mariotta
RB - Lacy, Henry, Dixon, Mckinnon
WR - Watkins, Moncrief, Sharpe, Hogan, Enunwa, Doresett
TE - Gates, Henry
K - Boswell
Def - Vikings

12 Team PPR Keeper Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, DEF KICK
QB - Taylor, Flacco
RB - CJ Anderson, Langford, Abdullah, Henry, C Michael
WR - Allen, Robinson, Floyd, Coleman, Funchess, Sharpe
TE - Kelce
K - Crosby
Def - Eagles

CrackedAces
DRAFT SHARK

Re: Trade Morality Question...

Postby CrackedAces » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Not a lot you can do about the trade at this point. Only thing I would do (and I have done this already this year), is send a message to the owner that sent Calvin away and tell him how he gave him up for so much less. I had an owner two weeks ago send away DT for Andre Johnson and Ben Tate. I posted a message basically stating that I would have started my conversation with him with his choice of Dez or Julio, and then talked RBs from there. Would I have actually spent that for DT? I might have, but more hogwash that truth. More than anything, I want him to think twice about accepting just any old offer without "testing the market" at least to see what he can get.

Bottom line though, in my opinion, if you are about to trade someone, at bare minimum you should post something on the message board saying you are about to send player x away in a deal. If anyone wants him, get your best offer to me in the next 12 hours. At least you know you are getting the best offer then, and hopefully multiple offers to choose from.

The knowledge level of players in fantasy in terms of trading, is simply ridiculous. They have NO CLUE how to do it right.

And as for your rival, let him squawk all he wants about your trades. As you said, there is nothing you can do if you propose and the other team accepts. He's just bent out of shape that he didn't send an offer first for the team to take. Its sour grapes on his part and nothing that you should take personally.

bigdog
DRAFT SHARK

Postby bigdog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:23 pm

I have a slightly different take on this. On my league, we don't veto stupid trades. Bad trades yes, but stupid trades no. A stupid trade would be something a 7th round pick in next years draft for seattle D. Seattle has done nothing of late to warrant getting a draft pick for, but hey if you wan't to toss one out there for them based on last years domination, by all means.

A bad trade would be the last place team sending peyton manning to the first place team for a 7th rd pick and matt schaub. Its not necessarily collusion as that would be hard to prove, but its a bad trade. That would be veto'd. Now if that pick changed to a 4th rd pick from a 7th, then ok trade away (even then I think you could get a little more for manning in our league).

All of that said, if I go to you with what I think is a fair deal, and you say "let me think about it", and then proceed to "shop" the deal around to the league, well to me, that's dirty pool. In all likelyhood, I probably won't trade with you again, and will badmouth you to the rest of the league any chance I get.

The difference here is that most if not all of our owners are fairly well skilled, all locally found and friends, and we (the commish's) control the trades and their passing. Most if not all trades pass through without question. Some don't though, but there isn't league voting (which btw is probably the absolute worst invention in FFL to date), and you will be told why the trade is in question and given opportunity to correct it.

On occasion we will bring it to a committee vote of sorts, where we pick one owner from each of 3 divisions and ask for their input. The reality is this is 1 owner chosen from the odd man out division as both commish reside in 2 seperate divisions. In case of commish involvement in a trade, then a replacement for him is found from that division.

I can see the case for "shopping" for more in other leagues I guess. It would still grind on me though, if I came to you for player x, and you shopped him to someone else for more. I find this is because most people don't even consider trading at all, so it would piss me off to no end if it happened that I do all the legwork on a deal, only to have him go to someone else.

I think this is the one place CBS gets it right over ESPN and Yahoo, in that they have a "trading block" feature that is easy to use, and sends messages out to all other owners. That way you can say I'm willing to trade xxx for xxx and everyone knows. Maybe the other two have it, but i have yet to find it.

I suppose another, more palatable way to handle things for me would be to decline my trade offer, then open it up to the league. Then you could come back to me. I wouldn't be as pissed, but I would still lower my offer as a result.
QB – R.Wilson,J.McCown,D.Watson***
RB – D.Martin,D.Lewis,R.Burkhead,T.Cohen,J.Stewart,Jon Williams**,C.McCaffrey***,J.Howard**, D.Cobb*
WR/TE – D.Adams,S.Diggs,M.Crabtree,M.Lee,V.Davis,J.Reed,C.Clay,J.Strong*
K – H.Butker,J.Lambo
DEF – Chiefs, Broncos
* - Free Keeper until ’17,** - Free Keeper until ’18,*** - Free Keeper until ‘19

4 pts – pass td , -0.5 for int
6 pts – rush/rec td
0.5 pts - ppr
1 pt – 45 yds pass, 2 pt bonus @ 300 yds
1 pt – 15 yards rush/rec,1 pt bonus @ 100 yds rush,3 pt bonus @ 100 yds rec

bigdog
DRAFT SHARK

Postby bigdog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:07 pm

I feel I should clarify my position above. I suppose if you told me outright, I don't think its enough, I'm going to open it up to the league, prior to actually doing so, then I would be ok. At least at that point I have the opportunity to either step up my offer or not, or caution the other owner I may decrease the offer. To me that would be acceptable.

Anyways, every league is different. This is just how it works in our league.
QB – R.Wilson,J.McCown,D.Watson***
RB – D.Martin,D.Lewis,R.Burkhead,T.Cohen,J.Stewart,Jon Williams**,C.McCaffrey***,J.Howard**, D.Cobb*
WR/TE – D.Adams,S.Diggs,M.Crabtree,M.Lee,V.Davis,J.Reed,C.Clay,J.Strong*
K – H.Butker,J.Lambo
DEF – Chiefs, Broncos
* - Free Keeper until ’17,** - Free Keeper until ’18,*** - Free Keeper until ‘19

4 pts – pass td , -0.5 for int
6 pts – rush/rec td
0.5 pts - ppr
1 pt – 45 yds pass, 2 pt bonus @ 300 yds
1 pt – 15 yards rush/rec,1 pt bonus @ 100 yds rush,3 pt bonus @ 100 yds rec

Return to “*Mad* or *Glad* Thread”