Keeper Call: McGahee vs. Maroney

Post all NFL, fantasy team or roster-related polls here. A new room just for polling!

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

Keep McGahee or Maroney?

McGahee
34%
Maroney
66%

Total votes: 35

TalkDoc
Great White

Keeper Call: McGahee vs. Maroney

Postby TalkDoc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:25 pm

In my one-keeper local league I have a decision to make between keeping McGahee or Maroney. I am probably leaning toward Maroney because of the round cost, but I was curious as to what folks thought. In this league, any player drafted in rd. 7 or later can be kept for a 5th round cost the next season, and then one round higher each additional season.

The scoring is ppr, HP. The lineup is flex: 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE).

McGahee will cost me a 3rd round pick. I actually like him better than Maroney, and I think he'll do well in Baltimore, but he has a higher round cost.

Maroney will cost me a 5th round pick. Obviously the cost here is ideal. I could pick my RB1 in the early rounds, and potentially get a couple top-notch WRs, maybe a top QB, and still have Maroney as my RB2. The only downside is the shoulder, and Belichick's secretive nature. I also am not as big a Maroney fan as some people are. But, I can't deny the ideal system and cost.

I should add that I'm really seeking advice with this season, and maybe the next in mind. There are few guppies in this league so I will probably have some great keeper options after our draft is over (somebody like Turner, for example, or a similar player will probably be left for the 7th in this league). So, I am more interested in the short-term benefits of this decision than anything else.

Thanks!
I'm just happy to be here.

ccorey12
Tiger Shark

Postby ccorey12 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:34 pm

Maroney's the pick. Everyone's down on his shoulder but he could surprise even this year and at a 5th round cost, it's a good deal. Thinking about next year, I'm sure you'd like to keep Maroney for a 4th instead of McGahee for a 2nd.

rwood37
DRAFT SHARK

Postby rwood37 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:39 pm

If you're confident in the keeper opportunities in the draft given the inexperienced GMs then I'd say the better short term option is easily McGahee. Looking ahead to next year, Maroney would then cost you a 4th so you'd be left with the same decision IMO... While I think McGahee offers the best short term option I'm not so sure Maroney concurrently offers the better long term outlook given his 4th round cost *next* season. And, as mentioned, if you're confident you can pick up sleeper, keeper eligible talent in the draft then I say stick with Mcgahee and give yourself a better chance at the title this year.

Hope this helps...

Blue Shark

Postby 13 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:43 pm

I'd go with Maroney easy. The PPR factor should be considered. I don't see Maroney catching a ton of passes, but even in shared duty he caught 22 passes last year. McGahee only caught 18 last year as the primary back & has about 60 for his entire career. He just sucks when it comes to pass catching & pass blocking. Also, I just think he has a lot more talent then McGahee & more elements to his game. With that new group of WR team are really going to have to respect the pass game, particularly the deep ball & Maroney will benefit greatly not only with running lanes but catching that underneath stuff.

Hollywood
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Hollywood » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:40 pm

Even if the rounds were equal, I'd take Maroney. I just see him as more of a home-run threat and that offense will be much more explosive. Yes his shoulder is a bit of a question mark but Willis has had his injuries too. I just don't have that much confidence in Baltimore's offense. It is built to not make mistakes and put the defense in a hole. You would think that means lots of rushing yards but it also means they are predictable and plodding. I see McGahee putting up numbers a little better than Lewis did last year whereas I see Maroney doing much better. For future years, it's not even a question for me.

Old School
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Old School » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:52 pm

If Maroney becomes an injury concern the Pats would pick up someone soon or at seasons end. Then you might have a RBBC on your hands. Belicheck doesn't put up with much bull and doesn't give you many chances. I like Maroney and McGahee, but due to the news on MAroney and the fact he was hurt off and on last year, I would be concerned about him.

McGahee's situation is only improving. Musa and the Marine are no threat whatsoever.
Can a dying member of the undefeated Dolphins PLEASE Nancy Kerrigan Brady on his way out of practice ? Or Jack Ruby him. Whatever's available to you.

JYD
DRAFT SHARK

Postby JYD » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:50 pm

All things being equal, I like Maroney a little better but I don't trust Belichick and I'd probably keep McGahee.
"People aren't used to this in Kansas City. Get over it, it happens, it's called life,'' -- Herm Edwards
Gee and all this time we thought it was bad coaching.

calshamus
DRAFT SHARK

Postby calshamus » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:20 pm

Until you know that Maroney is a go/no go you have to keep McGahee.

Cal
8/26/08 - good times, l8r days ya'll

Old School
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Old School » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:21 pm

I just learned that Ogden was returning to the Ravens for '07. Last I heard he was retiring !! ( I don't hear much about Ogden ). I was big on McGahee without Ogden.

I'm totally on board for McGahee + the beast at LT. I've read the other guy ( RT ) is 6'8"/6'9" too ? Holy $%^t ! :shock:
Can a dying member of the undefeated Dolphins PLEASE Nancy Kerrigan Brady on his way out of practice ? Or Jack Ruby him. Whatever's available to you.

AScopa77
DRAFT SHARK

Postby AScopa77 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:27 pm

I like Maroney based on his age.

Carolina Hustler
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Carolina Hustler » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:36 pm

McGahee is the safe pick right now. But you have to wait and see how Maroney does in the pre-season. If they're both healthy?...Maroney by a landslide. Youth, surrounding cast, 5th round value,....

SPEEDKILLS
DRAFT SHARK

Postby SPEEDKILLS » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:37 pm

Carolina Hustler wrote:McGahee is the safe pick right now. But you have to wait and see how Maroney does in the pre-season. If they're both healthy?...Maroney by a landslide. Youth, surrounding cast, 5th round value,....

Agreed. If you have to make a guess now on Maroney's health, I would still keep Maroney > McGahee and keep those fingers crossed.

Old School
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Old School » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:01 am

I take managable risks. Right now, my gut says the Maroney risk is a legit concern. If he is banged up all year, Brady and NE are geared up to throw it short in lieu of some running. If their plan works out they'll be fine. If Maroney is banged up they'll be fine too.

Most young backs who had sporadic injuries ( although none major ) their first year and spend the entire offseason before the second they were about to garner a huge load in not practicing and surrounded by more injury concerns are a huge asterisk ( * ). I don't feel good about this.

Keep trying to catch lightning in a bottle. McGahee should get around 1,100 and 9 TD's ( give or take a few ). Maroney could be 1,500 and 15 or 230 & 1 and on I/R. It's concerning to me.

It depends how much of a risk taker you are. Maroney if you like it chancey with huge upside, and McGahee if you want to hold down the fort with a solid near sure thing for top 12 numbers. The picks aren't as much of a concern to me. This is your franchise back this year and you still have your 1st and 2nd no matter what.

rwood37
DRAFT SHARK

Postby rwood37 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:14 am

Old School wrote:I take managable risks. Right now, my gut says the Maroney risk is a legit concern. If he is banged up all year, Brady and NE are geared up to throw it short in lieu of some running. If their plan works out they'll be fine. If Maroney is banged up they'll be fine too.

Most young backs who had sporadic injuries ( although none major ) their first year and spend the entire offseason before the second they were about to garner a huge load in not practicing and surrounded by more injury concerns are a huge asterisk ( * ). I don't feel good about this.

Keep trying to catch lightning in a bottle. McGahee should get around 1,100 and 9 TD's ( give or take a few ). Maroney could be 1,500 and 15 or 230 & 1 and on I/R. It's concerning to me.

It depends how much of a risk taker you are. Maroney if you like it chancey with huge upside, and McGahee if you want to hold down the fort with a solid near sure thing for top 12 numbers. The picks aren't as much of a concern to me. This is your franchise back this year and you still have your 1st and 2nd no matter what.

Well said. To expand just a bit, the Doc also indicated he's weighing this decision more heavily towards short term returns thus I think McGahee offers the better short term option. I feel he's looking to win a title now and while Maroney *could* be a part of that, McGahee is pretty safe and will better satisfy his short term return given the risk (whatever that degree is) Maroney carries.

Carolina Hustler
DRAFT SHARK

Postby Carolina Hustler » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:41 pm

Old School wrote:Maroney could be 1,500 and 15 or 230 & 1 and on I/R. It's concerning to me.

That's a bit high of an estimate in my oppinion. If you'll give Moroney that projection when healthy then he is definatly worth the risk. There is injury talk but not enough to keep that projection off my roster.

I think 1300 yrds and 13 TDs is alot closer to what we can expect.

Return to “Polls, Polls, Polls”