Looking for league rules feedback

Post all NFL, fantasy team or roster-related polls here. A new room just for polling!

Moderators: DS Jared, DSMarty

Should league waivers be...

Sunday-Tuesday
83%
First game of week-Tuesday
17%
Waivers? Who needs Waivers?
No votes
Sunday only
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 6

montanaxvi
Blue Shark

Looking for league rules feedback

Postby montanaxvi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 am

I haven't been on the boards at all here this season, but I wanted to jump in the tank and ask for opinions on some league rules concerning waivers.

Been running a league on Yahoo! with friends for 10+ years now. Everyone has a good time and have had about 8 of the 10 guys in the league since the first year. We have a couple of guys that like to get on Sunday morning right before kickoff and grab that hot guy that might be a late injury replacement, or see who is available they can "cock-block" (for lack of a better term) someone with by grabbing someone that managed to clear waivers etc.

While setting up the league this year I changed the league rules from our standard Sunday-Tuesday waiver period to First game of the week-Tuesday. Not really a change except for weeks where there is a Thursday night game, thus all players that are Free Agents are on waivers from Thursday night, so nobody can make any roster moves really on Sunday other than adjustments to their lineup with the guys already on their roster. My thought process was that it allows everyone a fair chance, just like the normal Sunday-Tuesday waivers to get that hot guy that might have a breakout game on Thursday night, it keeps the 1st place guy from running on the league page and sniping that player as a FA grab when I feel it should be that low man's option to get him through the waiver period the following week.

Nobody has said anything about it until this week of course because someone wanted to grab who knows who 3 minutes before kickoff and he was mad because everyone was on waivers so he couldn't get his move off.

Just looking for opinions on what everyone else uses or if they have ever seen any waivers like what I have in place for this season. It was an option on Yahoo! when setting up the league so I assume that someone, somewhere, uses that format.
He...Could...Go...All...the....Way..........But he doesn't

Hornsfan78
DRAFT SHARK

Re: Looking for league rules feedback

Postby Hornsfan78 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:11 pm

I am in 3 leagues with 3 different waiver rules (on 3 different services). I voted Sun - Tues (although I think you mean Tues - Sun, right), but I probably should have voted "Other".

1, in which I am the Commish, is on cbssports. It is set to run every day Wed - Sun at 2am, so basically set your moves up the day/night before. Waiver order resets every week based on worst to first, then resets after every move, so that if you have a transaction, you go back to the end of the line. The thing I like about it is you don't have to be the first one to the computer to execute a move. And, by Tuesday, you have a pretty good idea of the extent of the injuries from the prior weeks games. Its' only drawback is that you can't make that last minute Sunday morning move, but, I say "plan ahead". Players who play on Thursday night are locked until the following Wednesday waiver run.

The 2nd league I am in uses a blind bidding, followed by first-come, first serve. It is on MFL and there are some limitations in that any player dropped is unavailable until the following week. I still haven't completely figured out the blind bidding, but I do think it is fair. What I don't like about this league is the FCFS after the blind bid run, because if there is breaking news and you aren't at a computer (or with a decent smart phone), you are out of luck.

The last league I am in is on ESPN, and it is runs a worst to first waiver on Wednesday morning, followed by fcfs thereafter. Players dropped on on waivers for 24 hours, so everybody has a chance to claim someone that was dropped.

An ideal system for me would probably involve the blind bidding, followed by a nightly waiver run based on a worst to first order, with dropped players having to stay on waivers for 24 hours..

Sorry for the long repy!
2016 Champion 9 Hot Dogs & a Taco and DS Keeper League
9 Hot Dogs & a Taco
10 Team Keeper league
'17 Draft Round (x) *=Keepers
QBs: R Wilson (4),
RBs:*Da Johnson (18) *E Elliott (1) *J Howard (20) A Kamara (16) Rawls (WW) Darkwa (WW) Burkhead (WW)
Woodhead (WW) C Carson (WW)
WRs: *K Benjamin (19) A Cooper (2) G Tate (3) D Jax (5) J Doctson (WW) C Davis (WW) C Coleman (WW)
TE: *T Kelce (7)

Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, Flex, TE, DEF, K
1pt per 10 ru/re 25 pa; All TD's 6pts

montanaxvi
Blue Shark

Postby montanaxvi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Long reply is fine, I appreciate the input.

I did not mean Tue-Sun.

Sun-Tue. is what it sounds like, all players go on waivers at kickoff on Sunday, they remain on waivers until Tuesday night (really around 6am on Wed.) at which point the system processes the claims on a worst to first priority with each move dropping you to last in line until all claims are processed. At that point all players become FA and it is first come, first serve until kickoff on Sunday at which point the process starts all over again.

The complaint with the way I set it up for this season was that one game on Thursday night affects everyone's ability to snag whoever right before kickoff on Sunday, thus preventing someone from making a change to their roster let's say if was the case a couple weeks ago where Marshawn Lynch got hut during warmups so normally with kickoff Sunday being when all players are locked to waivers someone could make the change and pick up Washington or Forsett etc. except in the case starting this week with the Thursday game this move would not be possible as all players are locked from Thursday until Tuesday when the claims process is done.

I say it's a non factor and changes nothing other than the fact that you just don't have that free for all period from Wed-Sun kickoff as you normally would, now it is just smaller time frame being Wed-Thursday night at kickoff. Also since I believe there weren't any Thursday night games until this past week and my league playoffs go into effect on week 15, you only have 4-5 weeks where this even comes into play, but of course there has to be one person who wants to bitch and moan because something didn't go their way.
He...Could...Go...All...the....Way..........But he doesn't

omiller315
DRAFT SHARK

Postby omiller315 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:46 pm

montanaxvi wrote:Long reply is fine, I appreciate the input.

I did not mean Tue-Sun.

Sun-Tue. is what it sounds like, all players go on waivers at kickoff on Sunday, they remain on waivers until Tuesday night (really around 6am on Wed.) at which point the system processes the claims on a worst to first priority with each move dropping you to last in line until all claims are processed. At that point all players become FA and it is first come, first serve until kickoff on Sunday at which point the process starts all over again.

The complaint with the way I set it up for this season was that one game on Thursday night affects everyone's ability to snag whoever right before kickoff on Sunday, thus preventing someone from making a change to their roster let's say if was the case a couple weeks ago where Marshawn Lynch got hut during warmups so normally with kickoff Sunday being when all players are locked to waivers someone could make the change and pick up Washington or Forsett etc. except in the case starting this week with the Thursday game this move would not be possible as all players are locked from Thursday until Tuesday when the claims process is done.

I say it's a non factor and changes nothing other than the fact that you just don't have that free for all period from Wed-Sun kickoff as you normally would, now it is just smaller time frame being Wed-Thursday night at kickoff. Also since I believe there weren't any Thursday night games until this past week and my league playoffs go into effect on week 15, you only have 4-5 weeks where this even comes into play, but of course there has to be one person who wants to bitch and moan because something didn't go their way.

I am in 2 leagues. The one on yahoo a buddy commishes and the one on MFL is mine,. Yahoo is set the way you mentioned. There is no Thursday lock so those guys are free game during the game. Years past there was no waiver and it was a free for all. I prefer waiver. Now in my league is the best of both worlds. Dropped guys are locked until the following waiver, so a Wednesday drop is not available for the week. We have Sunday 1pm through Wednesday at noon waivers. However once a guys game is played, he is locked that week, so once a Thursday game starts, they go on waivers for the following week. So no one can snipe Denarius Moore this week, but was still able to make last minute pickups prior to Sundays games..

Return to “Polls, Polls, Polls”